Tuesday, January 31, 2012

~ Make your own Jell-O cups ~

Berry Blue & Outrageous Orange Gelatin Snacks


Kids love 'em and they are such a handy snack, but the price isn't always in my budget..even with a coupon.

So I started making Jell-O.  I soon found that what was leftover in the bowl became watery and well, quite unappetizing......and so into the garbage it went.  The price of those snack cups didn't look so bad after all the waste.  That's when I decided to make my own. 



These containers actually make 2 servings each.
(or one if the hubs takes it in  his lunch)
Cost for seven servings is $.50 total...that's a significant savings compared to purchasing the already made cups.

I either buy the box stuff or make my own and then put it into small containers
find them cheap at the Dollar Store

This is also a good way to get fruit servings into the kiddos!


HOMEMADE JELLO

1 1/2 tablespoons of gelatin (or agar agar)

2 cups of water

1 1/4 cup of a juice of your choice (cranberry juice is a great choice because of its brilliant color)

1 cup sugar (I use about 2/3)


Boil 1 cup of water
Pour 1 cup of cold water into a bowl and mix in the gelatin.  Set aside.
Put sugar into your juice.
Pour the boiling water into your juice mixture.
Then pour that into the gelatin water and stir.
Pour into a bowl or jello mold and chill.

This is a fun activity to involve the kids in as well.

Pin It!

No comments: